Description: In partnership with the Association for Mineral Exploration (AME) and Teck Resources Ltd, MineralsEd invites grade 10-12 students to join us on Tuesday, February 1, 2022, at the AME Roundup 2022 conference to explore the breadth of careers available to them within the mining and mineral exploration industry.
This program consists of two parts:
- Career Panel: In the morning, secondary students will connect with early-career professionals who represent a range of sub-fields in the mining and mineral exploration industry (geology, environmental science, engineering, and business). Students will hear inspiring stories on the speakers' experiences, education, and career pathways - followed by a Q&A session. This portion of the event will be facilitated by MineralsEd Partner-Teacher Bruce Kiloh. This years' career panelists are:
- Keynote Kevin Byrne - Regional Cheif Geoscientist at Teck Resources Ltd.
- Rebecca McGovern - Hydrogeologist at AECOM
- Kate Viger - Engineer Student at BCIT & Sample Technician at Serac Exploration
- Liam Fannin - Geologist at Newcrest Mining Ltd.
- Torbjorn Rive - Indigenous and Community Relations at Galore Creek Mining Corp.
- Conference Tour: After lunch, students will be accompanied by volunteers to explore the vast conference trade show floor and have the opportunity to speak with representatives from mining and mineral exploration companies. Some highlights include gold panning with Yukon Dan, visiting AR mine sites, and the core shack.
This event is suitable for secondary students in grades 10-12 who have a special interest in Science, Geology, Earth Science, Environmental Science, and Geography; or for those who are interested in exploring different career pathways.
Registration Deadline: Friday, January 14, 2022
Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2022
Location: Vancouver Convention Centre West
Time: 9:00 am-3:00 pm
Important Notes: This is a full-day event. Lunch and snacks will be provided. Masks and hand sanitizer will be available to participants, but we strongly encourage you to bring your own. All conference attendees must be fully vaccinated and will have to show proof of vaccination. Attendees aged 19 years or older will need ID. Students wishing to attend must be nominated by a teacher using the form below. Parent/guardian permission is also required. Download the Parent/Guardian Consent Form here.
What to Bring: Walking shoes, notebook, backpack, snacks and water, face mask, hand sanitizer, curiosity, and questions!
Visit our Flickr gallery for some of the highlights from 2020!